From: Russ Tennant <russ@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IDE ATAPI CD-RW: give the newbies a leg up!
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:09:55
1 Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
2
3 >I have given pretty detailed instructions in the past on this list how to do
4 >it, with both modules and with linking ide-scsi into the kernel. Both work.
5 >Search the archives, it is only a week or so back.
6 >
7 >Tom Veldhouse
8 >
9 >----- Original Message -----
10 >From: "Gilles Pelletier" <gipe@×××××××××.ca>
11 >To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
12 >Cc: <drobbins@g.o>
13 >Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2002 1:25 PM
14 >Subject: [gentoo-dev] IDE ATAPI CD-RW: give the newbies a leg up!
17 >Isn't it strange that, though almost everybody now has an IDE ATAPI
18 >CD-RW, instructions on how to get them working are very hard to find?
19 >
20 >Please don't forget the newbies. Even if they used Mandrake, Lycoris,
21 >ELX or Xandros, ir won't be much help if they want to learn more with
22 >Gentoo. Make sure you give them an adequate leg up. Don't forget
23 >J-C's advice: no strong foundations, no solid building . :)
24 >
25 >So, Here are the instructions I wrote using Slackware (I haven't moved
26 >to Gentoo... yet.) I suppose it would be easy for you to adapt them
27 >if need be.
28 >
29 >-------------------
30 >
31 >Add
32 >
33 >append="hdx=ide-scsi"
34 >
35 >to /etc/lilo.conf
36 >­­­­­
37 >This line loads a module in the kernel for scsi emulation because
38 >Linux normally works only with scsi cd writers. The x should usually
39 >be replaced by c as the cd rewriter is most often plugged as the
40 >secondary master. If not, it should be b for primary slave or d for
41 >secondary slave.
42 >
43 >--------------------
44 >
45 >Add
46 >
47 >/sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
48 >
49 >to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
50 >
51 >This line loads the scsi module installed by lilo.conf
52 >
53 >---------------------
54 >
55 >Add
56 >
57 >/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,user,ro 0 0
58 >
59 >to /etc/fstab
60 >
61 >At boot time, this line in the file system table (fstab) will allow to
62 >mount the cdrom to the mount point /mnt/cdrom .
63 >
64 >*********************
65 >For more advanced users:
66 >
67 >Notice that, after loading the scsi module, if no other scsi device is
68 >present, the device for the cdrom is scd0 instead of hdc (for a
69 >read-only ide cdrom plugged on secondary master.) In some Linux
70 >distros, a link is made from /dev/scd0 to /mnt/cdrom or other
71 >mounting point, so that the line in fstab may read something like:
72 >
73 >/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,user,ro 0 0
74 >**********************
75 >
76 >The third field means the file system is the standard iso9660.
77 >
78 >"noauto", means "Do not mount the device automatically at boot time" .
79 >(On the countrary, your hard disk, which is a non-removable device,
80 >is mounted automatically. The system knows it is there, whereas there
81 >might not be a cd in your cd writer :)
82 >
83 >"user" allows any user to mount the cdrom. "owner" would allow only
84 >root to mount it. "users" would allow to unmount the cdrom even if it
85 >has been mounted by another user: seldom used.
86 >
87 >"ro" means read-only. Don't ask me why the cd writer has to be mounted
88 >read-only.
89 >
90 >"0 0" relates to dumping and checking the filesystem. Forget about
91 >this for now.
92 >
93 >----------------
94 >
95 >That's it folks! Don't you think, for 99.9% of your users, those few
96 >lines would do a better job than the 75k outdated howto?
97 >
98 >Gilles Pelletier
99 >--
100 >La Masse critique
101 >http://pages.infinit.net/mcrit
104 This is in the install document with the exception of the "user" option
105 for mount.