From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] modular X - 7.0 RC1
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:52:20
1 Your mua or some gateway has inserted really ugly linebreaks in the text you
2 quoted. I tried to make it prettier.
3
4 On Thursday 20 October 2005 21:17, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
5 > I'm not aware of any. The only similar thing I'm aware of is a few
6 > incredibly broken packages that require Xvfb at build time.
7 >
8 > If there are packages that need to run any X server at build time,
9 > they're even more broken.
10 Agreed.
11
12 > | Firstly, as I said in my other replies, this would change the current
13 > | meaning of the X USE flag. The original meaning would stay without a flag.
14 > | Today it means 'enable support for clienside X11'. You want to make it
15 > | mean 'install X11 server'. If I'm building a headless box without an X11
16 > | server, but I do want to emerge KDE and run it over ssh -Y from another
17 > | box, I need two useflags to specify this. But even if we introduce a new
18 > | USE flag 'Xserver', on by default where X is on by default, and used as
19 > | you describe above, the problems I describe below will remain.
20 > Does it really mean that? How about all of the X USE flags in font
21 > ebuilds? They mean basically what I'm saying.
22 Until today we've only had a single xorg-x11 ebuild. So all the ebuilds today
23 have DEPEND="X? (virtual/x11 )", which includes an X server. But they only
24 really need the clientside libs+headers and so (I argued) what they /really/
25 mean is 'enable support for clientside X', because the presence of the server
26 doesn't affect them in any way.
27
28 But forget about what the flag is supposed to mean today. How can my scenario
29 above be resolved without using two useflags?
30
31 > | Secondly, there can be more than one X11 server (kdrive, etc).
32 > | Depending on xorg-server is bad. If anything, we should introduce a
33 > | virtual/x11-server.
34 I'm just explicitly noting that you didn't comment on this.
35
36 > | Thirdly, it's a 'convenience dep': whether xorg-server is installed or
37 > | not won't affect the behavior of KDE in any way (given a working DISPLAY
38 > | setting).
39 >
40 > Right, the intent is to basically say "I'm part of the 90% of users who
41 > has X installed locally and wants things to just work."
42 They will just work if they just 'emerge xorg-server'. Just as they need to
43 manually 'emerge KDE' and probably 'emerge openoffice' and mplayer and
44 mozilla and lots of other things. They have to do all this when installing a
45 new system anyway, so my opinion is that adding an extra manual emerge
46 instruction to the handbook isn't any more bother to them and makes things a
47 lot easier for us.
48
49 Gentoo has a tradition of minimalism in the system package list and so on.
50 It's against the usual and correct Gentoo behavior, IMHO, to install (big!)
51 stuff by default just because 90% of the users want it. A desktop sub-profile
52 or meta-ebuild would be a better tool for this.
53
54 > |>We will still install some fonts, but not all, and I'll note that in the
55 > |>metabuilds text.
56 > |
57 > | Which ones? Selected how? I'm asking because I don't want to work too
58 > | hard on deciding which fonts KDE should depend on :-)
59 >
60 > Selected arbitrarily by the x11 team based on requirement, common use
61 > and prettiness factor. Probably font-misc-misc, font-bh-ttf,
62 > font-adobe-utopia-type1 and maybe some others that are brought to my
63 > attention.
64 Which other new font ebuilds were included in the monolithic xorg-x11 ebuild?
65 media-fonts/font-*?
68 Dan Armak
69 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
70 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
71 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951