From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] modular X - 7.0 RC1
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:21:56
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Dan Armak wrote:
5 | On Thursday 20 October 2005 20:37, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
6 |
7 |>I'd prefer that people don't come to depend on metabuilds at all.
8 |
9 | OK, we can do this.
10 |
11 |
12 |>See
13 |>http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xorg-x11/porting_to_modular_x_howto.txt.
14 |
15 | That file says there won't be any x11-related virtuals anymore. Are
16 you sure
17 | no package uses it in the sense of 'any X server' instead of 'any X
18 client
19 | libs+headers'?
20
21 I'm not aware of any. The only similar thing I'm aware of is a few
22 incredibly broken packages that require Xvfb at build time.
23
24 If there are packages that need to run any X server at build time,
25 they're even more broken.
26
27 | Firstly, as I said in my other replies, this would change the current
28 meaning
29 | of the X USE flag. The original meaning would stay without a flag.
30 |
31 | Today it means 'enable support for clienside X11'. You want to make it
32 mean
33 | 'install X11 server'. If I'm building a headless box without an X11
34 server,
35 | but I do want to emerge KDE and run it over ssh -Y from another box, I
36 need
37 | two useflags to specify this. But even if we introduce a new USE flag
38 | 'Xserver', on by default where X is on by default, and used as you
39 describe
40 | above, the problems I describe below will remain.
41
42 Does it really mean that? How about all of the X USE flags in font
43 ebuilds? They mean basically what I'm saying.
44
45 | Secondly, there can be more than one X11 server (kdrive, etc).
46 Depending on
47 | xorg-server is bad. If anything, we should introduce a virtual/x11-server.
48 |
49 | Thirdly, it's a 'convenience dep': whether xorg-server is installed or
50 not
51 | won't affect the behavior of KDE in any way (given a working DISPLAY
52 | setting).
53
54 Right, the intent is to basically say "I'm part of the 90% of users who
55 has X installed locally and wants things to just work."
56
57 | Finally, it requires that extra change to (ideally) all X11 client
58 apps. It's
59 | not intuitive, and so easy to forget when writing new ebuilds.
60
61 Yeah.
64 |>We will still install some fonts, but not all, and I'll note that in the
65 |>metabuilds text.
66 |
67 | Which ones? Selected how? I'm asking because I don't want to work too
68 hard on
69 | deciding which fonts KDE should depend on :-)
70
71 Selected arbitrarily by the x11 team based on requirement, common use
72 and prettiness factor. Probably font-misc-misc, font-bh-ttf,
73 font-adobe-utopia-type1 and maybe some others that are brought to my
74 attention.
82 --
83 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list