From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] modular X - 7.0 RC1
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:10:50
1 On Thursday 20 October 2005 20:37, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > I'd prefer that people don't come to depend on metabuilds at all.
3 OK, we can do this.
4
5 > See
6 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xorg-x11/porting_to_modular_x_howto.txt.
7 That file says there won't be any x11-related virtuals anymore. Are you sure
8 no package uses it in the sense of 'any X server' instead of 'any X client
9 libs+headers'?
10
11 > Couple of ideas here.
12 >
13 > 1) We do as you suggest, and make people emerge xorg-x11
14 > 2) KDE could add a USE=X and dep X? ( xorg-server )
15
16 (2) is bad for several reasons:
17
18 Firstly, as I said in my other replies, this would change the current meaning
19 of the X USE flag. The original meaning would stay without a flag.
20
21 Today it means 'enable support for clienside X11'. You want to make it mean
22 'install X11 server'. If I'm building a headless box without an X11 server,
23 but I do want to emerge KDE and run it over ssh -Y from another box, I need
24 two useflags to specify this. But even if we introduce a new USE flag
25 'Xserver', on by default where X is on by default, and used as you describe
26 above, the problems I describe below will remain.
27
28 Secondly, there can be more than one X11 server (kdrive, etc). Depending on
29 xorg-server is bad. If anything, we should introduce a virtual/x11-server.
30
31 Thirdly, it's a 'convenience dep': whether xorg-server is installed or not
32 won't affect the behavior of KDE in any way (given a working DISPLAY
33 setting).
34
35 Finally, it requires that extra change to (ideally) all X11 client apps. It's
36 not intuitive, and so easy to forget when writing new ebuilds.
37
38 > We will still install some fonts, but not all, and I'll note that in the
39 > metabuilds text.
40 Which ones? Selected how? I'm asking because I don't want to work too hard on
41 deciding which fonts KDE should depend on :-)
44 Dan Armak
45 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
46 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
47 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951