From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] modular X - 7.0 RC1
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:09:09
1 On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 12:17 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > |>See
3 > |>http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xorg-x11/porting_to_modular_x_howto.txt.
4 > |
5 > | That file says there won't be any x11-related virtuals anymore. Are
6 > you sure
7 > | no package uses it in the sense of 'any X server' instead of 'any X
8 > client
9 > | libs+headers'?
10 >
11 > I'm not aware of any. The only similar thing I'm aware of is a few
12 > incredibly broken packages that require Xvfb at build time.
13
14 I know that we have used it to mean "requires an X server locally" for
15 some games.
16
17 > If there are packages that need to run any X server at build time,
18 > they're even more broken.
19
20 Nah, these were RDEPEND. There's probably a better way to go about it
21 anyway. If you've got any ideas, I'd love to hear them, as this is
22 something I'm going to have to tackle shortly.
25 > | Firstly, as I said in my other replies, this would change the current
26 > meaning
27 > | of the X USE flag. The original meaning would stay without a flag.
28 > |
29 > | Today it means 'enable support for clienside X11'. You want to make it
30 > mean
31 > | 'install X11 server'. If I'm building a headless box without an X11
32 > server,
33 > | but I do want to emerge KDE and run it over ssh -Y from another box, I
34 > need
35 > | two useflags to specify this. But even if we introduce a new USE flag
36 > | 'Xserver', on by default where X is on by default, and used as you
37 > describe
38 > | above, the problems I describe below will remain.
39 >
40 > Does it really mean that? How about all of the X USE flags in font
41 > ebuilds? They mean basically what I'm saying.
42
43 ...or games ebuilds. Apparently, we've been doing it wrong for a while,
44 too. Granted, many of these games *also* happen to require libX11, but
45 not all of them do.
46
47 > | Secondly, there can be more than one X11 server (kdrive, etc).
48 > Depending on
49 > | xorg-server is bad. If anything, we should introduce a virtual/x11-server.
50 > |
51 > | Thirdly, it's a 'convenience dep': whether xorg-server is installed or
52 > not
53 > | won't affect the behavior of KDE in any way (given a working DISPLAY
54 > | setting).
55 >
56 > Right, the intent is to basically say "I'm part of the 90% of users who
57 > has X installed locally and wants things to just work."
58
59 Right.
60
61 > | deciding which fonts KDE should depend on :-)
62 >
63 > Selected arbitrarily by the x11 team based on requirement, common use
64 > and prettiness factor. Probably font-misc-misc, font-bh-ttf,
65 > font-adobe-utopia-type1 and maybe some others that are brought to my
66 > attention.
67
68 Nnnoooo! No Type1 bloat! :P
71 Chris Gianelloni