From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Contributed ebuilds and copyright questions
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:17:22
1 On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 10:15:09 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 09:17:08 -0400
7 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
10 > >> wrote:
11 > >> >
12 > >> > Also, calling eclass functions could be considered linking. It is
13 > >> > not entirely clear to me if e.g. a binpkg built with a CDDL
14 > >> > licensed ebuild calling GPL licensed eclasses would be
15 > >> > distributable at all.
16 > >>
17 > >> Honestly, I think the GPL linking argument is a difficult one at
18 > >> best, but setting that aside I think it is even harder to consider
19 > >> calling a function in an interpreted language "linking." Is it a
20 > >> violation of the GPL to execute a GPL binary from a bash script
21 > >> that is GPL-incompatible? Heck, is it a violation of the other
22 > >> license for the GPL bash interpreter to read and execute the
23 > >> non-GPL lines in the script?
24 > >
25 > > The concept is "derived work": If your script cannot work without
26 > > the GPL binary, then it is derived work.
29 > I don't think any well-recognized organization argues that scripts are
30 > derived works of the binaries they call. Besides, literally the only
31 > thing about the binary that a script contains is the name of the
32 > binary, and some command line options. This seems like it is going
33 > even further than suggesting that APIs be copyrightable.
36 This has nothing to do with APIs nor what it contains. This has to do
37 whether your program still does what you claim it does if you remove
38 the GPL parts.
39
40 If I write a QT gui that forks/exec x264 cli and want to sell it as the
41 best H264 encoder on the market, then I have to comply with x264
42 license since it won't do what I claim once x264 is removed.
43 If I want to sell the same program as a QT gui for x264 cli, then it is
44 far less clear whether it is derivative work, but I'll certainly have
45 more difficulties in selling it :)
49 Back to the subject, a CDDL ebuild is a CDDL script to install a
50 program. If you can't install the program without the GPL parts (that
51 are distributed inside the same binpkg iirc), then it is derivative
52 work.