From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Contributed ebuilds and copyright questions
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 14:15:18
1 On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 09:17:08 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
6 >> wrote:
7 >> >
8 >> > Also, calling eclass functions could be considered linking. It is
9 >> > not entirely clear to me if e.g. a binpkg built with a CDDL licensed
10 >> > ebuild calling GPL licensed eclasses would be distributable at
11 >> > all.
12 >>
13 >> Honestly, I think the GPL linking argument is a difficult one at best,
14 >> but setting that aside I think it is even harder to consider calling a
15 >> function in an interpreted language "linking." Is it a violation of
16 >> the GPL to execute a GPL binary from a bash script that is
17 >> GPL-incompatible? Heck, is it a violation of the other license for
18 >> the GPL bash interpreter to read and execute the non-GPL lines in the
19 >> script?
20 >
21 > The concept is "derived work": If your script cannot work without the
22 > GPL binary, then it is derived work.
25 I don't think any well-recognized organization argues that scripts are
26 derived works of the binaries they call. Besides, literally the only
27 thing about the binary that a script contains is the name of the
28 binary, and some command line options. This seems like it is going
29 even further than suggesting that APIs be copyrightable.
32 Rich