From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 15:00:49
1 On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò
3 > <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
4 >> On 01/08/2012 23:42, Fabian Groffen wrote:
5 >>> Honestly, if some asian person has whatever charset that I often find in
6 >>> spam messages, but is not UTF-8, are you then going to tell that person
7 >>> to switch to UTF-8 to get those python packages emerged? I hope not.
8 >>
9 >> Tell that to the Python team I guess. My tinderbox _has_ utf8 locales
10 >> available, but doesn't set in by default -> Python stuff fails to build
11 >> or test -> not going to be fixed with "change your locale" reasoning.
12 >>
13 >> Is it mental? Yes.
14 >> Would I like that to change? Yes.
15 >> Do I care ẃhether that's through the use of cluebyfour on the Python
16 >> team or by setting an utf-8 locale by default? Not in the least.
19 > Please apply the cluebyfour to the upstream developers of python and
20 > python modules. :-)
21 >
22 > I do try to fix unicode problems if I run into them. However,
23 > sometimes it just isn't worth the effort.
26 Python upstream is doing what they think is best in using unicode.
27
28 That said, what if we just temporarily set a locale in the ebuild for
29 running tests and elsewhere? Is this unreasonable or impossible? It
30 might not be a great solution, this method, since users' stuff will
31 still break.
32
33 Further, I support the use of C.UTF-8 when it is ready. It seems like
34 the lowest common denominator to me.
38 Matthew W. Summers
39 Gentoo Foundation Inc.