From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: quantumsummers@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 15:48:05
1 On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 09:59:42 -0500
2 Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò
7 > > <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
8 > >> On 01/08/2012 23:42, Fabian Groffen wrote:
9 > >>> Honestly, if some asian person has whatever charset that I often
10 > >>> find in spam messages, but is not UTF-8, are you then going to
11 > >>> tell that person to switch to UTF-8 to get those python packages
12 > >>> emerged? I hope not.
13 > >>
14 > >> Tell that to the Python team I guess. My tinderbox _has_ utf8
15 > >> locales available, but doesn't set in by default -> Python stuff
16 > >> fails to build or test -> not going to be fixed with "change your
17 > >> locale" reasoning.
18 > >>
19 > >> Is it mental? Yes.
20 > >> Would I like that to change? Yes.
21 > >> Do I care ẃhether that's through the use of cluebyfour on the
22 > >> Python team or by setting an utf-8 locale by default? Not in the
23 > >> least.
24 > >>
25 > >
26 > > Please apply the cluebyfour to the upstream developers of python and
27 > > python modules. :-)
28 > >
29 > > I do try to fix unicode problems if I run into them. However,
30 > > sometimes it just isn't worth the effort.
33 > Python upstream is doing what they think is best in using unicode.
34 >
35 > That said, what if we just temporarily set a locale in the ebuild for
36 > running tests and elsewhere? Is this unreasonable or impossible? It
37 > might not be a great solution, this method, since users' stuff will
38 > still break.
39
40 It is impossible because you can't know which locale a particular
41 system has available. AFAIK there's no 'it-will-always-work' choice;
42 unless we're going to enforce generating some common locale, or do very
43 ugly things.
46 > Further, I support the use of C.UTF-8 when it is ready. It seems like
47 > the lowest common denominator to me.
50 Best regards,
51 Michał Górny