From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 16:55:34
1 On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 17:47:24 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Python upstream is doing what they think is best in using unicode.
4 > >
5 > > That said, what if we just temporarily set a locale in the ebuild
6 > > for running tests and elsewhere? Is this unreasonable or
7 > > impossible? It might not be a great solution, this method, since
8 > > users' stuff will still break.
9 >
10 > It is impossible because you can't know which locale a particular
11 > system has available. AFAIK there's no 'it-will-always-work' choice;
12 > unless we're going to enforce generating some common locale, or do
13 > very ugly things.
14
15 I don't think anyone will object to enforcing a given locale to be
16 present, even en_US.UTF-8; people will object if they have to use that
17 locale.
18
19 Maybe locale-gen can even generate it on-the-fly in $T, I don't know.
20
21 A.