From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:04:36
1 On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:58:19AM +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:17:23AM -0400, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > > With regards to copyrights, it's necessary for us to own copyright on
4 > > ebuilds in order to defend our intellectual property. If we (Gentoo
5 > > Technologies) don't own copyright on ebuilds (and other pieces of
6 > > Gentoo), we have no legal leg to stand on if someone (for example)
7 > > attempts to put a more restrictive license on that piece of intellectual
8 > > property.
9 >
10 > If the object in question (here, the ebuild) is licensed under GPL (not the
11 > program it refers to, but the ebuild itself) then even the copyrightholder
12 > can't force Gentoo to stop spreading the object since the license is still
13 > valid.
14
15 That's not the point; the point is that it allows us to defend our
16 intellectual property if someone else tries to infringe upon it; e.g.,
17 changing the license.
20 > I'm not sure though that ebuilds are under any sort of license.
23 They're licensed under the GPL. Whether that's enforcable in court or
24 not is another matter.
28 Jon Portnoy
29 avenj/irc.freenode.net
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list