From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] .keep files
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 00:34:46
1 On Sunday 22 May 2005 05:38, marduk wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 22:28 +0200, Andrej Kacian wrote:
3 > > Are .keep files necessary in a live filesystem? AFAIK they're only there
4 > > to keep portage from removing a directory from emerge-time image. Would
5 > > it be possible to just remove them from live filesystem after package
6 > > files are merged to / ?
7 > >
8 > > Or do .keep files serve another purpose, not obvious to me?
9 >
10 > I always thought that they were to keep 'emerge unmerge' from removing
11 > an empty directory, but I could be wrong...
12
13 You're pretty much right. If you look at updating a package as emerging the
14 new version and then unmerging the old version, you'll see the reason. There
15 is not yet any central database of installed files so unmerging the old
16 version will find that the package installed a directory that is now empty
17 (presumably because the files installed by that package have already been
18 removed) and the directory is removed.
19
20 Regards,
21 Jason Stubbs