From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Software patents
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 08:17:44
1 twofourtysix wrote:
2 > On 05/07/05, Robert Paskowitz <r2d2@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >>You have encouraged gentoo to remove patent-encoumbered software from
5 >>portage. I'd like to see you personally work with only software that
6 >>does not contain any patented work.
7 >
8 > No, I have encouraged Gentoo to remove software written by companies
9 > who are strongly behind software patents. Big difference. It's so easy
10 > to get software patents in the USA currently that it's likely that
11 > every single thing in the tree is covered by some bogus software
12 > patent. However, in most cases, these patents are not held by the same
13 > people who are making the software.
14
15 Actually, you'd be suprised. _Quite a few_ companies, quite actively
16 involved in promoting Linux, also, have quite a few software patents,
17 that directly affect things like the Linux kernel. Some of these
18 companies own quite big chunks of the Linux kernel source.
19
20 So your suggestion is neither practical, nor does it help the patent
21 case in any way shape or form.
22 --
23 ____ _ Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
24 / _ \ ___ ___ __| |__ __ __ Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs
25 - (_) \ / \ ; \(__ __)/ \ / \ Developer
28 (___/ \____/|_; |_| \_/ \__/ \__/ http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter