From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: kerberos, virtuals, rattling cages
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 03:55:07
1 On 02/24/2013 10:40 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Michael Mol posted on Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:17:56 -0500 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >>> I'm not following you here. 'slot' means a very specific thing. You are
5 >>> not actually suggesting we use SLOT, you simply want both versions of
6 >>> the library to be installed in one ROOT?
7 >>>
8 >>> I would not advocate this approach. You should strive to have only one
9 >>> kerberos implementation on a given machine.
10 >>
11 >> I'm really not certain, to be honest. It was my impression that slots
12 >> allow for two different versions of a thing to be present on the same
13 >> system, and that their different sonames on the system would lead to
14 >> correct symbol resolution. (Although it would require that the soname
15 >> being sought be adjusted in a dependent program to target the version
16 >> required.)
17 >
18 > The issue is in one's definition of "two different versions of a thing".
19 >
20 > "Slot", in the gentoo sense, has the meaning of two different versions of
21 > the same package, say qt-3 (tho that's long out-of-tree, but alive in kde-
22 > sunset) and qt-4 and qt-5 (tho that's very new, but is or will soon be a
23 > problem as more packages dep on it), where there'd ordinarily be file and/
24 > or functionality collisions, NOT two different packages containing the
25 > same functionality, which is the extended meaning it appears you're
26 > applying here, but which only confuses people when used within the gentoo
27 > context.
30 My presumption was that both app-crypt/heimdal and app-crypt/mit-krb5
31 used the same binary names.
32
33 $ equery f app-crypt/mit-krb5|grep -e '\.so'|sed -e 's/\.so.*//'|sed -e
34 's/.*\///'|sort -u|grep -v debug
35 db2
36 encrypted_challenge
37 libgssapi_krb5
38 libgssrpc
39 libk5crypto
40 libkadm5clnt
41 libkadm5clnt_mit
42 libkadm5srv
43 libkadm5srv_mit
44 libkdb5
45 libkrb5
46 libkrb5support
47 pkinit
48
49 (on a different machine)
50
51 $ equery f app-crypt/heimdal|grep -e '\.so'|sed -e 's/\.so.*//'|sed -e
52 's/.*\///'|sort -u|grep -v debug
53 libasn1
54 libgssapi
55 libhcrypto
56 libhdb
57 libheimbase
58 libheimntlm
59 libhx509
60 libkadm5clnt
61 libkadm5srv
62 libkafs
63 libkdc
64 libkrb5
65 libroken
66 libsl
67 libwind
68 windc
71 The overlap between the two includes libkrb5, libkadm5clnt and
72 libkadm5srv. When I was thinking "why not slots?", that was explicitly
73 the part I was thinking of.
74
75 The distinction between two versions of a thing, and two implementations
76 of a thing, is a thorny epistemological issue; "extended meaning" is
77 good way to put it. I've acknowledge that abusing slots in this way is
78 pretty vile. I don't really care to advocate it; I merely brought it up
79 as an alternative. (But it seems it's a difficult question to bridge.)