From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: kerberos, virtuals, rattling cages
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 03:41:30
1 Michael Mol posted on Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:17:56 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 >> I'm not following you here. 'slot' means a very specific thing. You are
4 >> not actually suggesting we use SLOT, you simply want both versions of
5 >> the library to be installed in one ROOT?
6 >>
7 >> I would not advocate this approach. You should strive to have only one
8 >> kerberos implementation on a given machine.
9 >
10 > I'm really not certain, to be honest. It was my impression that slots
11 > allow for two different versions of a thing to be present on the same
12 > system, and that their different sonames on the system would lead to
13 > correct symbol resolution. (Although it would require that the soname
14 > being sought be adjusted in a dependent program to target the version
15 > required.)
16
17 The issue is in one's definition of "two different versions of a thing".
18
19 "Slot", in the gentoo sense, has the meaning of two different versions of
20 the same package, say qt-3 (tho that's long out-of-tree, but alive in kde-
21 sunset) and qt-4 and qt-5 (tho that's very new, but is or will soon be a
22 problem as more packages dep on it), where there'd ordinarily be file and/
23 or functionality collisions, NOT two different packages containing the
24 same functionality, which is the extended meaning it appears you're
25 applying here, but which only confuses people when used within the gentoo
26 context.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman