From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are eblits?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 01:29:15
1 On 27 May 2016 at 10:28, rindeal <dev.rindeal@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > 1) what are they?
4 > 2) why are they used?
7 My best explanation is its a way to re-use very large amounts of code
8 between 2 ebuilds, without resorting to:
9
10 a) Copying the whole ebuild and hoping you find the relevant part in diffs
11 b) Not needing reams of version-specific conditional code to make
12 copying ebuilds between versions easier.
13 c) Not needing confusing eclasses that exist to serve a single
14 package, loaded with lots of weird conditional logic.
15
16 My understanding is you could effectively roll the eblits back into
17 the ebuild statically, just doing so would make keeping the changes
18 consistent harder.
19
20 Its clearly designed for a system where you have ~10 different
21 versions of Perl available or ~10 different versions of glibc
22 available, but you don't want to pay the price of duplicating that
23 logic wholesale for every minor concurrent revision, and only want to
24 update essential differences when you need to, not because you have
25 to.
26
27 That said, its a very confusing system to get your head around,
28 because its *basically* yet another "mixin" system like "inherit", but
29 done in bash, which itself is a rather strange language to be doing
30 something as complicated as mixins.
33 Kent
34
35 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL