From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: call for testers: udev predictable network interface names
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 05:44:31
1 On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Steven J. Long wrote:
3 > > Obviously it's good to have the functionality should you need it, but
4 > > again it appears that simple cases are being made complex, just to allow
5 > > for someone else's complex cases. Which is faulty logic.
6 > >
7 > > While many packages have default configurations, changing the default
8 > > setup for base system packages in the absence of any configuration is
9 > > not generally a good idea, unless you know for a fact it's not going to
10 > > mess anything up (which is a big ask given that you're distributing
11 > > source.)
12 > >
13 > > Especially given the arguments presented as a motivation, that all this
14 > > has "serious security implications, for example in firewall rules which
15 > > are coded for certain naming schemes, and which are hence very sensitive
16 > > to unpredictable changing names."
17 >
18 > Isn't this the very definition of the kernel-based names?
19