From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changes to the way Java packages are built
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:56:49
1 Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o> posted 4495739A.3040603@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 18 Jun 2006 10:39:06 -0500:
3
4 > I have written documentation on switching to the new system, from the
5 > user's perspective, over at our wiki [6]
6 >
7 > [6]
8 > https://projects.gentooexperimental.org/expj/wiki/Using_migration-overlay
9
10 Are there instructions somewhere for keeping to a 100% freedomware
11 solution? I've been wondering about installing Java, but don't consider
12 slaveryware a viable local option, thus the question. (FWIW, in the general
13 case I couldn't install whatever binary legally if I wanted to, since I
14 couldn't agree to the EULA, tho I've not examined the Sun/Blackdown EULAs
15 recently to see if this would apply there, as they still aren't
16 freedomware and are thus still not an option.)
17
18 If it's not yet possible (or no documentation that will work for a non-Java
19 guy), is there a timetable? No rush or even pressure to do it if you
20 aren't, but thought I'd ask while the topic is hot. I did try the given
21 URL as well as the Gentoo Java Guide, but the former seemed to presuppose
22 someone already involved in testing (understandable at this stage), and
23 the latter didn't seem to mention any of the newer 100% freedomware
24 alternatives I keep reading about. Thus, there was no answer I could grok.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list