From: Mike Kelly <pioto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo standard UIDs
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:40:54
1 José González Gómez wrote:
2 > Is there anywhere I can find the list of standard UIDs/GIDs used in Gentoo?
3
4 There is / was such a list in CVS[1] at some point, thought it is far
5 from complete or current.
6
7 > I also took a look at
8 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/users-and-groups/index.html, and
9 > there they say that you shouldn't hard code the UID/GID, so does enewuser
10 > use some kind of algorithm to keep the new UID/GIDs in a given range? Can I
11 > be sure that a UID generated by enewuser won't collide with some range I
12 > reserve for non system users?
13
14 You can pass -1 as the uid parameter to enewuser. In this case, it will
15 search for the first free uid between 101 and 999, inclusive.
16
17 This will be much nicer / easier to do once I finish my[2] GLEP 27[3]
18 implementation...
19
20 [1] http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-src/eid_database/
21 [2] http://soc.pioto.org/