From: "José González Gómez" <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo standard UIDs
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:58:40
1 Hi there,
2
3 I've recently written an ebuild for a package that needs to create an user,
4 and I have several questions regarding this issue.
5
6 Is there anywhere I can find the list of standard UIDs/GIDs used in Gentoo?
7 Is there any kind of linux/unix standard regarding this? I've been googling
8 for this, but although there seems to be some type of convention regarding
9 reservation of UIDs in some range (0-100, 0-500, 0-999 in useradd man page),
10 there doesn't seem to be anything resembling a standard. I've also noticed
11 that each distribution seems to use their own list of reserved UIDs/GIDs.
12
13 I also took a look at
14 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/users-and-groups/index.html, and
15 there they say that you shouldn't hard code the UID/GID, so does enewuser
16 use some kind of algorithm to keep the new UID/GIDs in a given range? Can I
17 be sure that a UID generated by enewuser won't collide with some range I
18 reserve for non system users?
19
20 Thanks in advance, best regards
21 Jose