From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CVS and non-devs (again!)
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 02:30:10
1 On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 09:43, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Thursday 22 January 2004 15:03, Brad House wrote:
6 > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gentoo development community
7 > > as a whole would probably have to switch to something other
8 > > than CVS. In my experience from CVS, trying to merge back
9 > > in changes from 2 different branches are nearly impossible (if
10 > > we wanted to merge in changes from the 'unofficial' branch).
11 > > Personally, I don't have time to learn some other system at this
12 > > point in time, so I'd vote against this. Please correct me if
13 > > I'm wrong on the merging front there, but I use it every day
14 > > at work, and it's one of the things that gets to me most about
15 > > CVS.
16 >
17 > I think that indeed subversion is superior to CVS, especially on the part
18 > where you want to look at changesets and merging. Maybe we could test
19 > subversion, but we might want to wait until the 1.0 version is released
20 > for actual use (is going to be rather soon now)
21
22 Funny enough, we were talking about this over dinner. It pretty much
23 came down to Kurt (klieber) saying that there was no way we were going
24 to be using such an unstable product for THE main function of our entire
25 distribution. This doesn't mean that it will not happen. It just means
26 that subversion has a long way to go before it would be usable by
27 Gentoo. Maybe it will be 1.0... but maybe it won't be until 3.7... who
28 knows?
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Developer, Gentoo Linux
33 Games Team