From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [RFC] Commit messages - WAS Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: What means bup?
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 23:08:28
1 On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 13:47:03 +0100
2 "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3
4 > - Line one is limited to <cat>/<pkg> and some Key Word that defines
5 > the type of change made, similar to bugzilla perhaps eg. "REVBUMP,
6 > VERBUMP, EAPIBUMP, BUGFIX, PATCH, FEATUREREQ, OTHER". This would get
7 > around the issue of long package-names and/or overlays and other
8 > lengthy prefixes.
9
10 Hell no.
11
12 I want to see as *much* data as possible in the limited summary, not
13 the *LEAST*.
14
15 That's why we have this problem in the first place: Developers are
16 trying *HARD* to put sufficiently quality information.
17
18 This proposal as-is basically champions the line length limitation to
19 absurdity.
20
21 If you go down this road you may as well "Fix" the problem by forcing
22 everyone to make the commit summary the shortened SHA1 of the rest of
23 the text in the commit message.... at least that way you're
24 *GUARANTEED* to never exceed 50 odd characters.
25
26 The commit summary will be useless, but hey, we got that message length
27 down alright. Yay!