From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git workflow
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 18:57:25
1 On Sun, Jul 05, 2015 at 04:03:27PM +0200, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 07/05/2015 06:10 AM, C Bergström wrote:
3 > >>> 5) More about linear commits and "history" - I need to double check,
4 > >>> but I don't think rebase changes the actual commit date (I could be
5 > >>> mistaken).
6 > >>
7 > >> You are mistaken, and should have double checked before you argued.
8 > >>
9 > >> Arguing without checking makes you look bad.
10 > >
11 > > How? I didn't claim to know and clearly not knowing didn't seem
12 > > important (to me). I'm not trying to overstate anything. I'm just
13 > > trying to passionately bring this up. I ***wish*** someone with some
14 > > guts would actually take charge of this on the gentoo side, have a
15 > > vote or make some executive decision which is stronger than this wimpy
16 > > policy we have now.
19 > Most of what you brought up wasn't really useful critique, but rather
20 > noise based on your personal frustration with git.
21 >
22 > This thread is not about giving lectures on how git works. We appreciate
23 > useful comments on the git workflow. But in order to give useful
24 > comments, you have to know and understand the project and how it works
25 > internally.
26 >
27 > There will be a sh*tload of developer, feature and whatnot branches. It
28 > is just insane to tell everyone to unconditionally do rebases
29 > everywhere. You haven't even commented on a fraction of the resulting
30 > problems. So please lets stop this discussion and move on.
31
32 The only thing you would have to worry about is rebasing your commits if
33 they are already pushed.
34
35 If you are working on a topic branch to make your changes, which has not
36 been published, just rebase that branch on master, then merge it to
37 master, and no one knows any different.
38
39 I'm going to start a thread on the signatures, because I have a question
40 about that.
41
42 William