From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git workflow
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 14:04:12
1 On 07/05/2015 06:10 AM, C Bergström wrote:
2 >>> 5) More about linear commits and "history" - I need to double check,
3 >>> but I don't think rebase changes the actual commit date (I could be
4 >>> mistaken).
5 >>
6 >> You are mistaken, and should have double checked before you argued.
7 >>
8 >> Arguing without checking makes you look bad.
9 >
10 > How? I didn't claim to know and clearly not knowing didn't seem
11 > important (to me). I'm not trying to overstate anything. I'm just
12 > trying to passionately bring this up. I ***wish*** someone with some
13 > guts would actually take charge of this on the gentoo side, have a
14 > vote or make some executive decision which is stronger than this wimpy
15 > policy we have now.
18 Most of what you brought up wasn't really useful critique, but rather
19 noise based on your personal frustration with git.
20
21 This thread is not about giving lectures on how git works. We appreciate
22 useful comments on the git workflow. But in order to give useful
23 comments, you have to know and understand the project and how it works
24 internally.
25
26 There will be a sh*tload of developer, feature and whatnot branches. It
27 is just insane to tell everyone to unconditionally do rebases
28 everywhere. You haven't even commented on a fraction of the resulting
29 problems. So please lets stop this discussion and move on.