From: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git workflow
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 18:11:33
1 Sunday 05 Jul 2015 16:03:27, hasufell wrote :
2 > On 07/05/2015 06:10 AM, C Bergström wrote:
3 > >>> 5) More about linear commits and "history" - I need to double check,
4 > >>> but I don't think rebase changes the actual commit date (I could be
5 > >>> mistaken).
6 > >>
7 > >> You are mistaken, and should have double checked before you argued.
8 > >>
9 > >> Arguing without checking makes you look bad.
10 > >
11 > > How? I didn't claim to know and clearly not knowing didn't seem
12 > > important (to me). I'm not trying to overstate anything. I'm just
13 > > trying to passionately bring this up. I ***wish*** someone with some
14 > > guts would actually take charge of this on the gentoo side, have a
15 > > vote or make some executive decision which is stronger than this wimpy
16 > > policy we have now.
19 > Most of what you brought up wasn't really useful critique, but rather
20 > noise based on your personal frustration with git.
21 >
22 > This thread is not about giving lectures on how git works. We appreciate
23 > useful comments on the git workflow. But in order to give useful
24 > comments, you have to know and understand the project and how it works
25 > internally.
26 >
27 > There will be a sh*tload of developer, feature and whatnot branches. It
28 > is just insane to tell everyone to unconditionally do rebases
29 > everywhere. You haven't even commented on a fraction of the resulting
30 > problems. So please lets stop this discussion and move on.
33 +1
34
35 How about you guys carry on this discussion somewhere else in a place like,
36 I don't know, IRC?
37
38 #which-git-workflow-fits-best-my-needs