From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: split up media-sound/ category
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:41:33
1 On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > So again, what are you trying to fix, and what makes you think it was
3 > broken to start with?
4
5 Well, I think there are things worth improving. However, I'm not sure
6 that we should consider implementation of tagging a reason to
7 re-design the entire portage system.
8
9 I think the simplest way to go about tagging is to just stick tags in
10 metadata.xml and not change the way anything else works fundamentally.
11 I could see a little room for allowing for future expansion, such as
12 defining namespaces in the xml. Then you could have a set of
13 description tags, and later a set of file tags (a la portage file
14 search).
15
16 Lack of tools to do something with the tags isn't a problem - they'll
17 happen. Probably the first place to do something with tags would be
18 packages.gentoo.org - if I want a quick list of all the text editors
19 on the system I don't mind doing a quick web search.
20
21 Sure, we can later expand things to provide a metadata index of some
22 kind and then command-line tools to search tags, or maybe a program
23 that sets up a tree full of symlinks or whatever after doing a sync.
24 I don't see why these have to be fully worked out to implement the
25 concept.
26
27 I think we should avoid changing the fundamental design of portage,
28 such as removing categories or allowing tags to be used as
29 dependencies/etc. At least, not right now. If we set up namespaces
30 for tags that might allow for such a thing in the future.
31
32 Also, there is no reason that tools couldn't help maintain the tags -
33 certainly if we used a tag namespace to list the files installed by a
34 package we'd want to automate that. I don't think we should try to
35 tackle that out of the gates - for starters the list is
36 version-specific and not package-specific, so you'd either need to
37 figure out how to sanely build and maintain a union of everything, or
38 tag tags with package versions or something.
39
40 The main driver behind tags seems to be searchability, and I think
41 that is something we could easily improve. I don't think we should
42 hold that up over an initiative to completely re-architect Gentoo...
43
44 Rich