From: Christian Hoenig <me@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:58:37
1 On Monday 02 February 2004 21:03, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Monday 02 February 2004 16:17, Kurt Lieber wrote:
3 > > All --
4 > >
5 > > I've posted GLEP 19 which talks about the inclusion of a new 'stable'
6 > > tree in portage that is updated on a periodic basis and only contains
7 > > security and major bugfixes out of cycle.
8 > >
9 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0019.html
10 > >
11 > > Please take a moment to review the GLEP and offer any feedback or ask any
12 > > questions.
13 >
14 > Could you explain why you think that architecture specific stable keywords
15 > are necessary? Would that not create a too big strain on the arch
16 > developers. If a package is stable on an arch shouldn't it also be
17 > automatically a candidate for the stable tree?
18
19 Hi Paul, though I'm not the 'you', I will give my statement here.
20
21 Long time ago I thougth about having an unstable/stable and mature kind of
22 flag here. The point is, that sometimes changes from ~arch to arch occur and
23 a short time later a return to ~arch is needed because the responsible dev
24 overlooked a point which became clear by the community.
25
26 A jump from for example 'x86' to 'stable:x86' (which could also be denoted
27 as !x68) should only occur if it 'seems' to be testet from the community for
28 at least some days!
29
30 I hope you did get my point, if not, get back to me :-)
31
32 take care, have fun
33 /christian
34 EDDK