From: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for /usr/share/doc hierarchy
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 07:35:13
Leo Laursen <ll_news@××××××××.dk> writes:

> This was sent to gentoo-user, but I was informed that this list is more > apropriate > > Hi. I am rather new to gentoo, so I don't know if this has been > discussed before. > > On debian and now gentoo, one little irritating issue is the large > number of files in /usr/share/doc. On gentoo there is a very natural > solution by mirroring the portage tree in the doc directory. > > Eg. /usr/share/doc/mutt-1.5.6 would be > /usr/share/doc/net-mail/mutt/mutt-1.5.6 > > It should be quite easy to implement (I think). >
I agree. At the moment it sucks to have /usr/share/doc/foo-package-x.y.z/ as it is impossible to bookmark such a place over upgrades. I think you're mistaken about Debian's approach though. IIRC, on Debian its /usr/share/doc/foo-package (ie. no version information in the path name). You proposal has a sub-directory for the portage category. I wouldn't bother with that. A flat view is more useful, IMO. You also have a sub-directory for versions -- that is not really necessary -- most packages have only one slot. Matt -- Matthew Kennedy Gentoo Linux Developer

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for /usr/share/doc hierarchy Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>