From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and simple guides
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:25:56
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Lance Albertson wrote:
3
4 > | I understand the block was lifted for projects, but that doesn't mean
5 > | herds should all should fit underneath proj/.
6 >
7 > I agree. What I meant is that herds should be grouping together to form
8 > new projects if they don't fit in an existing one; not that they should
9 > create one project per herd.
10
11 But herd != project. They are two distinct things. There are a couple of
12 cases where they both are the same, but others where it isn't. For
13 example, what project would netmon fit under? They aren't actively
14 trying to create a specific idea inside of gentoo. To me that's one
15 thing that defines a project from a herd. A herd mainly deals with
16 organizing a group of ebuilds. I don't see how you can label every herd
17 into a project.
18
19 > | I think we should open up
20 > | a similar space just for herds.
21 >
22 > I disagree -- they should all be able to fit into some project.
23
24 See above.
27 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
28 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
29
30 ---
31 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
32 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
33
34 ramereth/irc.freenode.net