From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] webdav global use flag and default
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:09:39
1 On Friday 28 July 2006 10:18, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > we currently have both webdav and nowebdav ueflags, this is confusing:
5 >
6 > # grep webdav /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc
7 > dev-util/git:webdav - Adds support for push'ing to HTTP repositories via
8 > DAV dev-util/subversion:nowebdav - Disables WebDAV support via neon library
9 > net-misc/sitecopy:webdav - Enable WebDav (Web-based Distributed Authoring
10 > and Versioning) support. This system allows users to collaborate on
11 > websites using a web based interface. See the ebuild for an FAQ page.
12 > Enables neon as well to handle webdav support.
13 > www-apps/open-xchange:webdav - Enable WebDav (Web-based Distributed
14 > Authoring and Versioning) support.
15 > www-servers/lighttpd:webdav - Enables webdev properties
16 >
17 > The proposed solution is to make webdav a global useflag and set it as a
18 > default use flag to have the same effect as the current nowebdav use flag
19 > in subversion.
20
21 I'd like to explain why subversion has a nowebdav useflag. Basically one of
22 the features of subversion is its ability to work over the http protocol.
23 Many subversion installations use the apache module to serve subversion (even
24 our own overlay project does). To disable webdav support would cripple the
25 subversion client. It is something one should only do when aware of the
26 consequences.
27
28 Paul
31 Paul de Vrieze