From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: glibc versions prior to 2.19-r1
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 17:47:07
1 On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 12/22/14 10:39, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 03:18:01PM +0100, Matthias Maier wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> IMHO, maintaining a sensible set of old glibc versions of the last 5
10 >>>> years makes sense, and we should try to support it:
11 >>>
12 >>> We have a general policy in the distro that says we only have to worry
13 >>> about one year. Besides that, linux-2.6.32, which is the oldest kernel
14 >>> glibc-2.20 will support was released in 2009, so I think it is
15 >>> reasonable to drop the old glibc versions.
16 >>>
17 >> I think a general policy like this makes sense. Nothing prevents a
18 >> maintainer from keeping around stuff longer, but that should be up to
19 >> them (and issues in old versions shouldn't be the responsibility of
20 >> others to clean up if they are blockers - just move forward and let
21 >> things break after a warning or treeclean if the problem is really
22 >> serious).
25 > Please let's not "tidy up" gentoo. That "old" stuff is useful even if its
26 > not useful to those who don't see a use for it. Let the maintainers decide
27 > if they want to put effort into keeping it around.
30 Wasn't that what I just said? Maintainers decide what they want to
31 put effort into maintaining. The only bit I added beyond what you
32 said is that if they DON'T maintain the old versions others don't have
33 to do it for them. (ie, bugs against them don't count as blockers
34 towards other changes in the tree) Treecleaning is only appropriate
35 if things are horribly broken, which is the usual policy.
38 Rich