From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: glibc versions prior to 2.19-r1
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:52:03
1 On 12/22/14 10:39, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 03:18:01PM +0100, Matthias Maier wrote:
4 >>> IMHO, maintaining a sensible set of old glibc versions of the last 5
5 >>> years makes sense, and we should try to support it:
6 >> We have a general policy in the distro that says we only have to worry
7 >> about one year. Besides that, linux-2.6.32, which is the oldest kernel
8 >> glibc-2.20 will support was released in 2009, so I think it is
9 >> reasonable to drop the old glibc versions.
10 >>
11 > I think a general policy like this makes sense. Nothing prevents a
12 > maintainer from keeping around stuff longer, but that should be up to
13 > them (and issues in old versions shouldn't be the responsibility of
14 > others to clean up if they are blockers - just move forward and let
15 > things break after a warning or treeclean if the problem is really
16 > serious).
17
18 Please let's not "tidy up" gentoo. That "old" stuff is useful even if
19 its not useful to those who don't see a use for it. Let the maintainers
20 decide if they want to put effort into keeping it around.
24 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
25 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
26 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
27 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
28 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA