From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:46:07
1 Jan Kundrát wrote:
2
3 > Tiziano Müller wrote:
4 >> Having the EAPI versioned like this: X.Y where X is the postfix part of
5 >> the ebuild (foo-1.0.ebuild-X) and Y the "EAPI=Y" in the ebuild itself we
6 >> could increment Y in case the changes to the EAPI don't break sourcing
7 >> (again: a package manager will have to mask those ebuilds) while changes
8 >> breaking the sourcing of the ebuild need an increment of X to avoid that
9 >> pm's not being able to even source such an ebuild still can mask it
10 >> properly (or just ignore it).
11 >
12 > What benefits would that offer?
13
14 This depends on how we want to "drive" our development process.
15 The scheme I described would allow us to make many small improvements (given
16 they don't break sourcing of the builds) while the sole postfix-versioning
17 of the EAPI seems to be a model with less big changes.
21 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list