From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resignation (was: Project Sunrise resumed)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 05:31:37
1 On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:50:40 -0400
2 "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 Hi,
4 Continue with *top-posting* as it is.
5 Does Gentoo gives more choises to users or not?
6 With the freedom/choise comes the responsibility (if anything breaks).
7 Gentoo is known not to be for *everybody* (unless he/she is willing to
8 learn & quite stubborn to use it).
9 These ebuilds *are* already in Bugzilla, and for some there're people
10 interested in maintaining/improving them.
11 IMHO this is better then an ebuild/s which seats for 2-3 years and is of
12 *outstanding quality*. The world is in motion not static.
13 The overall concern (for me) with 'sunrise' & similar is the
14 availability (in advance) of some *good/understandable* information
15 about some consequences in using such project/s.
16 Just a warning no more. All this on main docs page (to be visible).
17 E.g. some of the current *semi/official* overlays mess with the versions
18 in the *main tree* so i have to mask/unmask things to do what i want (i
19 accept this).
20 Just my point of view, no more.
21 Rumen
22 > My concern is beyond me. As I stated I know enough about what to
23 > expect IF I use sunrise. But many do not and with it becoming
24 > official people figure it's gentoo and when it breaks Gentoo
25 > suffers. Gentoo has a reputation as a good solid, stable distro. As
26 > user and big fan of Gentoo I'm concerned - why couldn't sunrise have
27 > stayed unoffical like BMG. Why does it have to be official? Gentoo
28 > can choose to do what it feels is right and I will do the same.
29 >
30 > I answered only because someone asked for user's concerns well this
31 > is mine and you all can do with the input as you please without any
32 > hard feelings on my part.