From: Duncan Coutts <dcoutts@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:27:28
1 On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 13:55 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > I'm sorry, but I am not OK with just standing by and watching us give
4 > complete access to do anything with no accountability. If you are,
5 > perhaps you really need to rethink your commitment to our users and your
6 > fellow developers.
7
8 The way the Haskell team manages this is that we don't tell our end
9 users about our testing overlay. So we don't get bug reports from them.
10 We have three outside contributers with write access to the overlay
11 repo. They make changes in consultation with the team. So we're not
12 giving complete access without accountability.
13
14 We have a couple other users who use the overlay but they know what
15 they're doing. We don't make the overlay that easy to use on purpose
16 because we don't want inexperienced users using it. So apart from not
17 advertising it, we don't keep digests in the repo.
18
19 I think the point is that these overlays should be a useful way of
20 getting contributers more closely involved. However we should not
21 encourage end users to use these overlays without thinking. For example
22 using more than one at once seems like a really bad idea. Perhaps if we
23 make them sufficiently hard to use then end users will not use them and
24 we'll just get the contributers we want.
27 Duncan Coutts : Gentoo Developer (Haskell herd team lead)
28 email : dcoutts at gentoo dot org
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list