From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:10:43
1 Duncan Coutts wrote:
2 > The way the Haskell team manages this is that we don't tell our end
3 > users about our testing overlay. So we don't get bug reports from them.
4 > We have three outside contributers with write access to the overlay
5 > repo. They make changes in consultation with the team. So we're not
6 > giving complete access without accountability.
7
8 Hmmm, that kinda defeats the whole point of having an overlay at all,
9 IMHO. Of course you can have an overlay strictly for internal
10 development between a couple of people, but that's not quite what this
11 debate is about I'd say.
12
13 I find overlays really useful for testing stuff before it gets into
14 portage - that's completely pointless if the overlay is secret. Also,
15 you are able to find potential future devs among the overlay users,
16 people who actually submit fixes etc. How are you going to get that if
17 noone knows about the overlay?
20 > We have a couple other users who use the overlay but they know what
21 > they're doing. We don't make the overlay that easy to use on purpose
22 > because we don't want inexperienced users using it. So apart from not
23 > advertising it, we don't keep digests in the repo.
24
25 Oh well, seems like you have a very specific use for this, probably not
26 what most users are interested in.
27
28 > I think the point is that these overlays should be a useful way of
29 > getting contributers more closely involved. However we should not
30 > encourage end users to use these overlays without thinking. For example
31 > using more than one at once seems like a really bad idea. Perhaps if we
32 > make them sufficiently hard to use then end users will not use them and
33 > we'll just get the contributers we want.
34
35 As said above, how are you going to get new contributors without people
36 that are actually using/testing that stuff?
40 jakub