From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentooo 501(c) accounting
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 18:46:50
1 On 12/07/2016 01:31 PM, james wrote:
2 > Hello,
5 > There was some discussion before about the software used for gentoo the
6 > charity (501)(c). It seems to have perked up a bit of discussion on
7 > gnucash, where all of the posting I have read suggest that gnucash is a
8 > wonderful accounting system for charity organizations. There also
9 > appears to be lots of experience and help to. I thought this issue need
10 > a separate thread on gentoo-dev, a robust decision, and a team based
11 > solution, if not a council item.
12 >
13 > Here is the latest posting I have received on the 501(c) subject matter,
14 > I thought I share and formally open up a discussion on the subject:
18 > Here's my original post::
19 >
20 > Hello gnucash users.
21 >
22 > I use gnucash for my small business, for years and I'm quite happy with
23 > it. Recently, I was ask if Gnucash has as good of support for 501(c)3
24 > non-profits as does ledger (www.ledger-cli.org)?
25 >
26 > Any and all comments are warmly received.
27 >
28 > James
29 > ........................................
30 >
31 > The the most recent reply:
34 >> [1] http://www.ledger-cli.org/
35 >
36 > I regard cli accounting as a friend of GnuCash rather than the
37 > competition, there isn't anything one can do that the other can't in
38 > accounting terms, also notice that cli accounting is becoming less so as
39 > time passes, there are UIs and SQL type reports and so on being added
40 > all the time, the principle is that compared to commercial products you
41 > can, if you really want to, see a stream of transactions in ordinary ABC
42 > and 123 terms, gnc can be dumped to cli and vice versa.
43 >
44 > I'm not saying you or someone else should choose one or the other, I'm
45 > asking you to thunk which is most likely to get people keeping good
46 > records for the benefit of their non-profit. I know that for one
47 > non-profit I help out with a basic cli would be a non-starter, no UI and
48 > the tx simply wouldn't get entered.
49 >
50 >> [2] http://www.accountingcoach.com/nonprofit-accounting/explanation/1
51 >
52 > worth reading, note the bits about restricted funds, that is what people
53 > that are familiar with for-profit orgs usually struggle with conceptually
54 >
55 >> [3] https://sfconservancy.org/npoacct/
56 >
57 > that's been updated since I read it last but seems to be more face lift
58 > than new content
59 >
60 > James, you've got some good links there but don't actually say what the
61 > imperatives for your correspondent are.
62 >
63 > I, and I am sure others, are happy to espouse GnuCash, *if we think it
64 > is right* for your org. I don't have enough to go on. There is little
65 > harm in trying it, however, as it is easy enough to get your tx in and
66 > out if cli accounting is your alternative.
67 >
68 > Happy helping and non-profiteering (if that is even a concept in merka
69 > post Trump)
72 Why thank you James for helping us focus on charity and organizational
73 commitment. Here is an IRS online document, that is just exciting to
74 read, when one puts on the filter of gentoo_behavior and reads the
75 requirements to be a 501(c)3 [1]
79 [1]
80 https://www.irs.gov/publications/p557/ch03.html#en_US_201602_publink1000200036
83 So which category is Gentoo under?
86 Where are the public records?
89 Can we get complete historical ledger of the organization published?
92 Are we (gentoo, council and foundation) in compliance?
93
94 Audit Records?
97 Let's get cracking on which FOSS package we want to use, as a community
98 decision. I suggest preparation and a public vote.
101 Other ideas?
104 hth,
105 James