From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: chris.rs@×××××××.nz
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] making metadata.xml pay off and removing pkg_postinst crud
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:05:06
1 On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 00:14, Chris Smith wrote:
2 > The <howto> section could even include links to Gentoo (or just general)
3 > documentation! i.e. hardened-sources could point to the hardened gentoo
4 > project page. Perhaps even topics in the forum, or the mailing list, where
5 > users have documented useful info about the package.
6
7 I really like this idea. It gives quite a bit more information to the
8 users and isn't too hard to maintain from a developer standpoint.
9
10 > Off on a tangent here, perhaps all of our information distributed via rsync,
11 > could be bzipped? I'm not familiar with rsync, or if it's anything like cvs
12 > (i.e. unable to handle binaries the way we want), but we could definately
13 > reduce the download times over rsync (something i've noticed, especially for
14 > the first rsync done on a system).
15
16 For portage usage, rsync works best with straight text. This is because
17 a bzipped file is dramatically different from the previous version if
18 only one character changed before compression. The download times, I
19 believe, are more a product of the actual matching done by rsync than a
20 product of slow download rates. I've noticed that a sync is about 100
21 fold faster on a SCSI RAID array than on an old IDE drive, though both
22 are on the same Internet connection. This tells me right away that
23 bandwidth is not the problem, but rather I/O (and CPU to an extent).
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Developer, Gentoo Linux