From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Clarify the "as-is" license?
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 11:17:30
1 On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > So, either we should only mark free software with the as-is label.
3 > Then it might help if the text was clarified as in the patch below.
4 >
5 > Or we continue marking random non-free stuff with as-is. Then we
6 > should IMHO remove as-is from our free license groups, create a
7 > licenses/HPND file (text as in [1]), and move the free packages to it.
8
9 Well, I can see legal problems any time you take a thousand things
10 that all have a bunch of non-identical, informal licenses and treat
11 them as the same. However, I don't think it is practical to do
12 otherwise.
13
14 How about having an as-is-free and an as-is-nonfree. The easier thing
15 on maintainers is to make one of those just "as-is," and if we want to
16 make sure we check them all the better thing is to not do that.
17 However, making a new as-is-free and treating anything as-is as not
18 free is probably good enough. I don't think it is wise to do the
19 reverse, even though that involves the least amount of work.
20
21 Rich