From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Last rites: media-video/mplayer2 media-video/smplayer2
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 15:07:26
1 On 16/03/15 16:27, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 16 March 2015 at 21:54, Юра Цимбалов <yura.tsts@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>> That would be great, but it depends on getting newer mpv stable, while
5 >>>> (s)mplayer2 is dead and broken right now.
6 >>>
7 >>> https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=mplayer2&list_id=2703540
8 >>>
9 >>> Why it's broken?
10 >>
11 >> As stated in my original message: See bugs 452484, 485994, 512082, 519212.
12 >
13 > Obviously if software has serious issues it needs to be treecleaned,
14 > but I seem to recall this package coming up in the whole ffmpeg
15 > defaults discussion.
16 >
17 > As I recall libav is now the default, and the argument was that users
18 > should just use mplayer2 and such for compatibility. Now it sounds
19 > like stable users don't have that option, at least for a time.
20
21 mpv prefers ffmpeg, actually. It still works with libav, but this
22 results in some missing features and some bugs.
23
24 Does someone know which packages in portage work better with libav than
25 with ffmpeg? If there aren't any, ffmpeg should probably be made the
26 default, in order to reduce the amount of problems.