From: Guillaume Lefevre <lefg@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] first impressions
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:17:36

I've discovered gentoo a few days ago and it looks very promising, but
it's still very rought
on the edges, I havent completly switched to it but it's under process.

A few comments:
1) the CD image:
   - an SMP kernel would be nice.
   - missing gunzip links disables keyboard layout (nasty for non qwerty
users) and manpages
   - install procedure on the cd
   - md5sum of the iso image
2) the ebuild system, it great! but:
   - why linking to as primary site?
   - when hordes of maniacs and fans will charge to it, it won't be
pretty :-)
   - maybe a list of mirrors by continents?
   - why java depends on x11, I need it for cocoon, I know I can edit
the script by hand, but...
3) willing to help on my spare time (between college and work):
   - docs
   - ebuild scripts
   - php, sql, python

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] first impressions (Achim Gottinger)