From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: yngwin@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: gentoo sync based unified deps proposal
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:15:28
1 On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 19 September 2012 14:01, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On 19 September 2012 03:18, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>>> Readability is more important, and there I still don't buy the
7 >>>>> argument that the new syntax is better, and that any gain would
8 >>>>> outweigh the cost of changing. After all, the existing variables for
9 >>>>> dependency specification won't disappear, so devs would have to
10 >>>>> remember both.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> I agree it is a con, but is it a blocker? I mean basically any change
13 >>>> proposed requires know the old way, and the new way..that is how
14 >>>> changes work...
15 >>>
16 >>> Which is why changes need to have clear benefits that outweigh the
17 >>> costs of change. In this case the benefits are purely cosmetic, so
18 >>> they don't. Change for change' sake is not worth the effort.
19 >>>
20 >>> --
21 >>> Cheers,
22 >>>
23 >>> Ben | yngwin
24 >>> Gentoo developer
25 >>> Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin
26 >>>
27 >>
28 >> I'm sorry. Are you reading the same threads that I am?
29 >
30 > You've seen me participating in those, so obviously: yes.
31
32 So then you must have also read Brian's email detailing the metadata
33 savings, and allowing the PM to parse fewer things (even with
34 quantitative measurements!). Search your email for 'cold cache'.
35
36 [snip]
37
38 Looking at what you call cosmetic makes me think that you're
39 collapsing "cosmetic and a useful change" down into "cosmetic" in
40 order to disregard it.