From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: gentoo sync based unified deps proposal
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:14:03
1 On 19 September 2012 14:01, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 19 September 2012 03:18, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>> Readability is more important, and there I still don't buy the
6 >>>> argument that the new syntax is better, and that any gain would
7 >>>> outweigh the cost of changing. After all, the existing variables for
8 >>>> dependency specification won't disappear, so devs would have to
9 >>>> remember both.
10 >>>
11 >>> I agree it is a con, but is it a blocker? I mean basically any change
12 >>> proposed requires know the old way, and the new way..that is how
13 >>> changes work...
14 >>
15 >> Which is why changes need to have clear benefits that outweigh the
16 >> costs of change. In this case the benefits are purely cosmetic, so
17 >> they don't. Change for change' sake is not worth the effort.
18 >>
19 >> --
20 >> Cheers,
21 >>
22 >> Ben | yngwin
23 >> Gentoo developer
24 >> Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin
27 > I'm sorry. Are you reading the same threads that I am?
28
29 You've seen me participating in those, so obviously: yes.
30
31 > From the other thread ("example conversion of gentoo-x86 current deps
32 > to unified dependencies"):
33 >
34 >> 1) This unifies the existing syntax down into a collapsed form. In
35 >> doing so, there are measurable gains across the board for PM
36 >> efficiency and rsync alone.
37
38 Unifying existing syntax = cosmetic
39
40 If collapsing it is beneficial for PM internals, please do so
41 internally while hiding it from ebuild devs.
42
43 >> 2) In unifying the syntax via reusing our /existing fucking syntax/,
44 >> we formalize the adhoc common dependency assignments devs already are
45 >> doing in the tree.
46
47 Again, cosmetic
48
49 >> 3) In moving to a unified syntax, it positions us to easily introduce
50 >> new dependency types without introducing more redundancy. Easier to
51 >> add new dep types, faster to add new dep types, more efficient in
52 >> doing so in comparison to existing approaches, and done in a fashion
53 >> that devs can reuse existing conditionals.
54
55 Again, cosmetic
56
57 Note that adding new dep types only comes up very rarely.
58
59 >> 4) It is not exherbo's DEPENDENCIES. Meaning it is not label based.
60 >> Meaning you do not need to knee-jerk attack it because of some notion
61 >> it's ciaran based/related.
62
63 Hm, yeah, so?
64
65 > I know you must have seen this (and the rest...). You've participated
66 > in that thread.
67
68 Indeed. So what made you wonder if I had seen that?
71 Cheers,
72
73 Ben | yngwin
74 Gentoo developer
75 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin