From: Davide Pesavento <pesa@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] packages which won't support x32
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 18:12:51
1 On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 7:28 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > This is the case with dev-lang/v8: it doesn't build on x32
4 > (<https://bugs.gentoo.org/423815>), and upstream said they *won't*
5 > support x32
6 > (<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/v8-users/c-_URSZqTq8/7wHl095t2CMJ>).
7 >
8 > Note that with v8 it's not just about getting v8 itself to compile, but
9 > also making it generate correct JIT code on x32, which would require
10 > substantial changes to v8 code (in fact, a whole new 40K arch port, see
11 > the discussion linked to above).
14 Is it possible to disable the JIT engine?
15
16 > Should dev-lang/v8 get p.masked on x32 profile, or is there some better
17 > way to handle it? What are your suggestions?
20 Qt5 uses a forked version of v8 for QML/QtQuick. So this means that
21 x11-libs/qt-jsbackend:5 (available in qt overlay) and all the packages
22 depending on it, including qt-declarative:5 and kde, won't be
23 available on x32 :-/
24
25 > I had a crazy idea to just build v8 and v8-dependent packages using
26 > non-x32 ABI, but I'm not sure if it's possible and if it would be the
27 > right thing to do.
28 >
29 > Paweł
32 Thanks,