From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:36:46
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 12:03 -0600, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Tue Nov 22 2005, 09:15:27AM CST]
3 > > > Well, if we could educate the users that stage2 tarballs are totally
4 > > > pointless, and that running bootstrap.sh followed by emerge -e system
5 > > > from a stage3 is pretty much *exactly* the same as starting a stage1
6 > > > from scratch...
7 > >
8 > > It isn't pretty much anymore. It *is* exactly the same.
9 >
10 > I keep hearing this, isn't there a real difference between a stage 1 and
11 > a stage 3 install inasmuch as somebody who needs (or wants) to
12 > dramatically tailor what's in the system profile can choose to do so
13 > from a stage 1 or 2, but would have to remove packages after the fact if
14 > starting from a stage 3? I wouldn't have a problem with that, as long
15 > as we document it, but it just seems that the claim that the old and new
16 > methods produce _exactly_ the same results seems to be stretching things
17 > a bit.
18 >
19 > -g2boojum-
20
21 There are 3 purposes to a stage1/stage2 install (note all 3 can be
22 achieved with either a stage3 or a custom rolled stage though catalyst):
23
24 1). Modify the bootstrap.sh script to change what the "stage2" target
25 produces.
26 2). Modify the system target to change what the "stage3" target
27 produces.
28 3). Modify the CHOST/CFLAGS/USE et. al. early on to create a customized
29 and largely unsupported (things like hardened, uclibc, and embedded are
30 exceptions to the unsupported rule) "stage3" target.
31
32 #3 is where the vast majority of user created bugs occur. The purpose of
33 highly encouraging users to start with a stage3, by making the handbook
34 only refer to it, is to make sure that users have a known working
35 configuration to start their customization from. There are many many
36 ways to mess up going from a stage1 to a stage3, there are fewer ways to
37 mess up customizing and recompiling a system that has already been
38 configured to boot on it's own.
39
40 By and large most users will never want to do any of the above for the
41 reasons that they are really valid for, and any user or developer that
42 does will have access to both the stages (with relocated documentation)
43 and catalyst itself to make their own. We are not removing choice
44 here...just *potentially* making someones initial download time longer.
45
46 Personally I wouldn't be at all opposed to moving the stage1 and stage2
47 tarballs to another directory on the mirrors (documented of course),
48 just to make it that much clearer that if you start from a stage1 or a
49 stage2 RelEng won't support you if any errors occur during system build.
50
51 If RelEng ever does get to the point of removing stage's 1 & 2 from the
52 mirrors (something that has been discussed but isn't on the table at all
53 right now) end users and developers alike will still be able to generate
54 them on their own using catalyst and the provided spec files...sure it
55 is an extra step and all but it's not all that huge...
58 Daniel Ostrow
59 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
60 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}
61 dostrow@g.o