From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:10:34
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Tue Nov 22 2005, 09:15:27AM CST]
2 > > Well, if we could educate the users that stage2 tarballs are totally
3 > > pointless, and that running bootstrap.sh followed by emerge -e system
4 > > from a stage3 is pretty much *exactly* the same as starting a stage1
5 > > from scratch...
6 >
7 > It isn't pretty much anymore. It *is* exactly the same.
8
9 I keep hearing this, isn't there a real difference between a stage 1 and
10 a stage 3 install inasmuch as somebody who needs (or wants) to
11 dramatically tailor what's in the system profile can choose to do so
12 from a stage 1 or 2, but would have to remove packages after the fact if
13 starting from a stage 3? I wouldn't have a problem with that, as long
14 as we document it, but it just seems that the claim that the old and new
15 methods produce _exactly_ the same results seems to be stretching things
16 a bit.
17
18 -g2boojum-
19 --
20 Grant Goodyear
21 Gentoo Developer
22 g2boojum@g.o
23 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
24 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76