From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:20:54
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 09:53 -0500, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > Kurt Lieber wrote:
3 > > We have received *numerous* complaints from users about the decision to
4 > > remove stage 1 and 2 from the installation documentation. I realize it's
5 > > still available if users are willing to dig for it, but not all users do.
6 > >
7 > > In my years of monitoring www@g.o, we've received the most
8 > > complaints about this decision than any other single decision. Is there a
9 > > way we can re-introduce the stages into the installation documentation,
10 > > perhaps with gigantic warnings saying, "for advanced users only" or "use at
11 > > your own risk"?
12 >
13 > Well, if we could educate the users that stage2 tarballs are totally
14 > pointless, and that running bootstrap.sh followed by emerge -e system
15 > from a stage3 is pretty much *exactly* the same as starting a stage1
16 > from scratch...
17
18 It isn't pretty much anymore. It *is* exactly the same.
19
20 > To me, the email from that user sounds like the typical vocal minority
21 > of users who make "screw common sense in favor of choice" complaints
22 > whenever we change something for the better.
23
24 Exactly.
25
26 It sounds like we are letting ourselves be swayed by a few heated words
27 from someone who is obviously shooting for a reaction.
28
29 If we give in, the terrorists have won.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
34 x86 Architecture Team
35 Games - Developer