From: Thomas Kirchner <lists@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:23:28
1 * On Nov 22 10:15, Chris Gianelloni (gentoo-dev@l.g.o) wrote:
2 > It isn't pretty much anymore. It *is* exactly the same.
3
4 Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're going to attempt to get the same
5 result as a stage1 with a stage3 - (which won't be exactly the same,
6 given the defaults of stage3 that we don't all agree with) - don't you
7 have to download the huge stage3 tarball *and* all of the distfiles?
8 With a stage1, you only need the distfiles. Seems like a big change,
9 especially for those without fast connections.
10
11 I'm against this change, personally. Stage1 has *always* been for
12 advanced users. If someone screws up their own system (which is possible
13 in any number of other ways, as well) then it's their fault. Gentoo
14 isn't about babying users. It is about choice. And if changing that is
15 the only way to reduce your workload, well...
16 Tom