From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:25:48
1 On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:03:49 -0600 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | I keep hearing this, isn't there a real difference between a stage 1
4 | and a stage 3 install inasmuch as somebody who needs (or wants) to
5 | dramatically tailor what's in the system profile can choose to do so
6 | from a stage 1 or 2, but would have to remove packages after the fact
7 | if starting from a stage 3? I wouldn't have a problem with that, as
8 | long as we document it
9
10 emerge -e world && emerge -e world && emerge depclean
11
12 Exactly the same results, except that it won't fall over and die
13 because of unlisted circular dependencies.
14
15 | but it just seems that the claim that the old and new methods produce
16 | _exactly_ the same results seems to be stretching things a bit.
17
18 How do you think stage3s are built in the first place?
21 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Look! Shiny things!)
22 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
23 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm