From: Bob Miller <kbob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated Portage project page
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:03:53
1 Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
2
3 > There are more advantages to using prolog. But let me point you at some
4 > downsides first. Prolog is logic programming, and people tend to avoid
5 > logic (and choose other languages like Ada for instance). However,
6 > because of its relation to logic, Prolog is often used in reasoning
7 > systems, which is in fact what portage is.
8
9 Two comments. (Sorry, I'm not subscribed to portage-dev, so this is
10 going to the wrong list. Bad Bob!)
11
12 First, is Prolog embeddable? Would it be possible to do all the I/O,
13 UI, etc. in a procedural language, and hand the dependency data off to
14 Prolog to do the actual analysis? Would that approach make sense?
15
16 Second, is there anything wrong with Python as an implementation
17 language? If you think Python is too slow, think again. On nearly
18 every portage operation I do, the CPU is mostly idle -- it's the disk
19 that's thrashing (according to gkrellm). The key to improving
20 portage's performance is to get it to open fewer files.
23 Bob Miller K<bob>
24 kbobsoft software consulting
25 http://kbobsoft.com kbob@××××××××××.com
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list